fbpx
Want to become healthy and eat dessert every day? Get your copy of The Dessert Diet Club now.
Beetroot Brownies

How to Eat Dessert and Lose Weight? Your Healthy Dessert Questions Answered

You are cordially invited to join The Dessert Diet Club, a club where we refuse to follow boring diets, have a sweet treat every day, and share healthy recipes for delightful goodies with each other. The best diet is the one you don’t realise you are following. 

You may have some questions, but luckily, I am here to answer them. Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about going on a dessert diet: 

How to Eat Dessert and Stay Lean?

Been saying no thank you to dessert because you are afraid you will lose your lean figure? If you choose your treats wisely and go for sweet treats that have been made with healthy ingredients, then you can eat dessert every day and stay lean. You might have to learn how to make healthy treats if it is not easy for you to find sugar-free snacks. 

There are a lot of healthy treat recipes in my book, The Dessert Diet Club, which will give you a great start when learning how to make healthy desserts.

Can I Eat Dessert and Still Lose Weight? 

Not only can you eat dessert every day and be healthy, but you can also lose weight while still indulging daily. 

There are many ways of doing this. You can follow the basic 80/20 rule, where you eat healthily 80% of the time and indulge the other 20%. What if you allocated 80% of your daily calories to healthy, whole foods, and used the other 20% of your calories for a not-so-healthy treat. 

If you stick to treats that have been made with healthy ingredients, then you can eat dessert at every meal and still lose weight. If you are like me and want to have dessert after every meal, then healthy treats are a lifesaver. If you choose to follow the 80/20 rule, healthy desserts can form part of your 80% allocated to healthy food, and unhealthy ones can be part of the 20%.

If you choose to follow the 90/10 rule, where you eat healthily 90% of the time, the same rules apply, and if you choose to go all-in on the healthy foods, then you can just have healthy treats. 

How to Eat Dessert and Not Gain Weight? 

The key to eating dessert and not gaining weight is to not overdo it when it comes to both healthy treats and unhealthy ones. You can gain weight on any diet if you eat too much. 

Having sugary foods often will also make it easier for your body to gain weight, especially when a dessert is high in sugar and fat. When you eat a high amount of fat and sugar/carbs together, then your body will burn the sugar first and be more likely to store fat. 

With the big spike in insulin, cells will also be signalled to absorb glucose and will absorb fat along with it. 

If you are going to go for unhealthy desserts, ones that are mostly sugar and low in fat might be a better option if you also ate a low-fat meal. 

If you follow the 80/20 rule or even the 90/10 rule, then I don’t think you need to be too concerned, and if you want to have a doughnut that is high in fat and sugar, that is okay. But then I recommend that you do not pair that doughnut with a meal that is already high in fat and/or carbohydrates. 

If you choose healthy options at least 80% of the time, it will be less likely that you will gain weight, especially if you practise portion control and don’t consume too many calories. 

Choose low-sugar and preferably low-carb desserts to reduce the amounts by which your glucose levels and insulin levels will spike. 

How Can I Lose Weight by Eating my Favourite Food?

This is an easy one. In today’s world, all you have to do to find a healthy recipe for your favourite food is to do a quick Google or Pinterest recipe search. You can find a healthy recipe for anything. All you have to do is type in the name of your favourite food, followed by “healthy recipe”. 

If you follow a specific diet like the keto diet, Whole 30 diet, gluten-free diet, or even Mediterranean diet, you can type it out, add your favourite food, and then the word “recipe” and take your pick out of hundreds of healthy recipes. 

Perhaps there is a recipe for your favourite sweet food in The Dessert Diet Club, now wouldn’t that be lucky. 

I have also found quite a few healthy versions of my favourite foods in health food shops and even the grocery store like low-carb brownies, sugar-free and dairy-free chocolate, healthy cookies, and even ice cream! Okay, I do prefer the sweet stuff, but many restaurants (especially here in South Africa) are now offering healthy alternatives like gluten-free or low-carb pizzas, pasta, and burgers. 

It is becoming easier and easier to find healthy alternatives in stores, as well as recipes for your favourite treats, and I suspect it will become even easier in the future. 

Is it Okay to Eat Dessert Every Day? Can I Eat Dessert While Dieting?

Of course it is okay to eat something sweet every day. That is a choice you have to make for yourself based on what you want and whether or not you are willing to live with the consequences of the treats you choose. If you choose a sugary dessert, but you have just worked out or will work out later, then it will be more okay for you to eat it than if you did not exercise that day. 

If you choose healthy desserts and don’t overdo it on the calories, then you have no reason to think that it is not okay for you to eat dessert every day. 

If you stick to healthy options, at least most of the time, then you can remove the guilt factor. 

I really recommend the 80/20 rule. If you eat healthily 80% of the time and then indulge in sinful, sweet treats the other 20%, that is perfectly okay. 

When Should You Eat Dessert? Is it Better to Eat Dessert First? 

Eating dessert first is only better if it helps you manage cravings, otherwise, it doesn’t really matter. I love the chocolate diet principle, where you eat a block of chocolate 20 minutes before a meal and then another one 5 minutes after. This has shown to reduce snacking and the amount of food consumed during meals. 

One benefit of eating dessert first, but only if it was made with a sugar alcohol like xylitol or erythritol, which all of the recipes in The Dessert Diet Club contain, is that the sugar alcohols draw water into the digestive tract, which can make you feel fuller. This means that having a healthy dessert before your meal could help you consume less during. 

How Can I Stop Cheating on My Diet?

The best way to stop cheating on your diet is to follow a diet that you enjoy. If you eat foods that you enjoy and actually craved the food on your diet plan, then the temptation to cheat will be far lower. 

If you want to learn how you can stop cheating on your diet, first ask yourself what it is about your current diet that you do not like. Is it a lack of dessert? Perhaps adding some healthy desserts is the solution you need to stop cheating on your diet. 

Even if you never completely give up sugary treats or your favourite junk foods, but just have healthy versions of your favourite foods 80% of the time, that’s okay. 

Perhaps the reason why you are struggling to stop cheating on your diet is that you do not eat enough calories while dieting, which can lead to binge eating and overeating. Maybe you can schedule in diet breaks where you allow yourself to eat more for a few days or add in a cheat meal once a week or a cheat day every few weeks.

Every time you cheat on your diet it is an opportunity to learn more about what works for you and what doesn’t. Instead of just dieting to lose fat, for example, why not take the opportunity to learn what your ideal diet is, so that when you have reached your goal, you will be able to carry on with your healthy lifestyle with more ease. 

Perhaps you really really want to have your favourite sugary chocolate bar every day and are willing to adjust your diet around it. You could follow a low-carb diet and say no thank you to the bread and sugary fruits during the day because you know you are going to have your carbs and sugar in your chocolate bar later. 

If you keep the rest of your food for the day low in carbs and work the chocolate bar into your daily calories, then the impact of eating it will not be significant. The 80/20 rule just might change your life. 

How Can I Eat Healthily and Still Enjoy Food?

This one is easy, but it might take some time to figure out. The truth is that there are hundreds of different foods that are healthy for you, and chances are, you will enjoy quite a few of them. 

Perhaps the issue is that you have been on a highly processed diet and are not that familiar with a lot of healthy foods. If you introduce healthy foods one by one, you will start to realise what you like, what you do not like, and what you think you can get used to. You can focus on the ones that you enjoy and stop worrying about forcing yourself to eat food you hate just because they are healthy. You can get your nutrients from a variety of sources. 

Perhaps the problem is that you think eating healthily means you have to eat boring food and just steam everything or eat it raw. If you take some time to learn delicious ways of cooking healthy foods, and even find healthy recipes for your favourite foods, then it will become a lot easier to enjoy your food while eating healthily. 

There is a healthy alternative for any food you enjoy. Just ask Pinterest or Google. 

Lastly, read The Dessert Diet Club. This book is full of tips on how to eat healthily while eating dessert every day and enjoying your food. 

There are also a lot of healthy dessert recipes with healthy low-carb, gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free, etc. recipes that will help you to still follow a healthy diet, but while you are following a diet that you love. 

After all, the tagline for the book is “The Indulgent Guide to Food Freedom”. 

How to Eat Dessert on Keto?

It is quite easy to eat dessert on a keto diet. In fact, my dessert consumption went up a lot on the ketogenic diet. Why? Because removing the sugar and carbs from my dessert removed the guilt factor when it comes to dessert, so I started having dessert every day. 

Desserts are also a great way to consume more fat in your diet. Ever heard of fat bombs? They are little bites of high-fat goodness. I make a lot of treats almost made entirely from fat like Keto Chocolate Fudge or a Coconut Ice Cream that you will love! The recipes are in my book, The Dessert Diet Club. 

You can have a bulletproof coffee full of cream, or you can turn that bulletproof coffee into ice cream? Oooh imagine making high-fat ice cream and then making an affogato where you put a scoop of ice cream on top of an espresso. Now that’s a way to start a keto day. 

Can I Eat Dessert on a Keto Diet? 

Yes, all you have to do is find keto recipes in The Dessert Diet Club or on Pinterest. 

A lot of companies are also bringing out low-carb cookies, chocolates, and ice cream, which you can order online, or hopefully, find in a health food store or supermarket. 

In South Africa, it has become quite easy to find low-carb sweet treats in stores, as there is a rising trend of people being more health-conscious. Whether you are just gluten-free, low-carb, or even vegan, there is a healthy treat for you too. 

What is the Best Chocolate for Keto?

If you are on a keto diet, then the best option to go for when it comes to chocolate is dark chocolate, and I am talking about 70% or higher. The darker the chocolate (I like 90%), the better, because it means that it will have an even lower sugar content. 

Nowadays, it is also quite easy to find chocolate that has been made with a sweetener like stevia, xylitol, or erythritol in health food stores, some supermarkets, and online. 

Can You Eat Ice Cream on Keto?

Oh yes. But you might have to make the ice cream yourself. There are companies nowadays that sell sugar-free and low-carb ice cream that is keto-friendly, but it might be challenging to find, depending on where you live. 

Luckily, online shopping makes things like this easier. 

There are quite a few keto ice cream recipes in The Dessert Diet Club, including vanilla ice cream, pistachio ice cream, coconut ice cream, and lemon sorbet. 

One of the best investments I believe you can make if you are a dessert addict like me is getting an ice cream maker. Sometimes, I even just put my cup of coffee in the ice cream maker, so I can have it as ice cream instead. 

Is Peanut Butter Keto-Friendly?

Yes! If you eat peanut butter without added sugar, then the peanut butter is great for a keto diet, unless you are sensitive or allergic to peanuts, of course. It is high in fat and is a source of protein. 

Can I Eat Dessert on Intermittent Fasting? 

Of course you can. Technically, intermittent fasting is just about going for longer periods of time without consuming calories, and it does not dictate what you should be eating during your feeding window. 

You can eat whatever you want if you are intermittent fasting, but if you want to see better results, regardless of the benefits of intermittent fasting that you are after, then it is better to stick to healthy foods most of the time. 

You can choose to eat healthy, sweet treats when eating, whether you order healthy chocolates, cookies, cakes, etc. online or get them in a health food store or supermarket, or if you make the good-for-you treats yourself. There are about 50 recipes in The Dessert Diet Club that can get you started on making healthy desserts.